Friday, April 11, 2014

OUR CREATIVE CORNER

MIXED MEDIA PIECE - STEP BY STEP



I am so excited and honoured to be invited to make something for the theme
"With A Song In Your Heart".

 I chose one of my lifelong favourite songs for this event and tried
to express my feelings and inner pictures to this song. 
I am sure everybody knows this timeless world-wide hit written by John Lennon - here is a link to hear it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZC7sqImaM 




  In my mind this song is a beautiful statement of love and hope. 


I made some step by step photos for you to see my progress.


I started by gluing random pieces of old bookpages on an 8 by 8 (21 x 21 cm) piece of thick cardboard. I used cheap white schoolglue and a stiff brush for this. The next step was to brush a thin layer of the same white glue all over the surface and let dry this.
( I always use a heat tool to speed up the drying time- 
but I keep distance to the glue otherwise it will bubble)
I aged the surface then with dark brown acrylic paint -


I applied a generous amount of paint with a sponge - sprayed with water and wiped away the most of the paint soon after with a rag. While the ground was drying I prepared three torn stripes of homemade colored papers of mine, ( I always use acrylic paints  and sprays for this,  so they don't smear when liquid glue is used )  drew a starfish on a sprayed piece of paper and cut it out.


This pieces were arranged on the background and glued on with the white glue by gluing the back and the front of the papers - that seals very good. 

Now it was time to stamp some random designs with matching colors of waterproof inkpads and bring on a touch of white over the whole design to tone  it down a bit ( I took a white colored ink spray - you can also use a simple white wash with water-thinned white gesso or white acrylic paint.)

I colored some areas with pastel sticks and defined the starfish and all edges with a charcoal pencil.

To get  the pastels and charcoal pencil permanent I sprayed a coat of spray fixative ( some artists use hairspray for this ).



Then I cut out the letters I needed from a sentiment stamped with black archival ink on white tissue paper and glued it on my starfish with gluestick ( a pair of tweezers is very handy for this).



I stamped on white accents with white acrylic paint and let it dry.

I applied  a layer of  white glue on the starfish - let it dry overnight and wrote my message with white correction pen on the piece and  outlined each letter with charcoal pencil. With white oil pastel crayon I made some accents on the starfish. As a last sealing I sprayed two layers of fixative over the entire piece.

I hope you like my creation and maybe you can give the techniques a try to create such an 
Mixed Media Piece - it is so much fun to do and the progress will move and delight your inner artist! Believe me!

16 comments :

  1. Off to take a closer look and it is wonderful to have you guesting for us at OCC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just been for a peep Susi and it is stunning with so many wonderful ideas.

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. All we are say, is give peace a change. Tralalalalala, das geht mir heute dann überhaupt nicht mehr aus dem Kopf.

    Ein tolles Werk, liebste Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glückwunsch susi,dein Werk ist total hammer!!
    Dieser text ist soo klasse,und wird mir heute nicht mehr aus dem kopf gehen *lol*
    ich finde auch deine farbwahl wunderschöööön,werde das bestimmt auch mal probieren.
    hab noch einen schönen tag,liebe

    soulsister *knuddel*Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went over for a look! Fantastic art of yours! Love the texture and the meaning behind it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. excited to see what you are up to dear Susi...
    off I go
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ganz toll, die sollten stolz sein Dich zu haben als Gast DT! Schönes Wochenende und take it easy! GLG, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Das ist ein fantasisches Werk mit einen großartigen Zitat. Das stecken so schöne creative Ideen in dieser Arbeit! Ich liebe den Song "Imagine" auch sehr!
    Ich wünsche dir eine schönes, und hoffentlich auch erholsames Wochenende!
    LG, LonettA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ja diesen Song kenne und liebe ich auch Susi und dein Werk dazu gefällt mir total gut.
    Liebe Grüße
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous project, thank you for the process steps xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your feature at OCC, it's a gorgeous artpiece. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Das ist eine wunderschöne Arbeit, liebe Susi! Vielen, vielen Dank auch für das Zeigen der einzelnen Schritte. Ih glaube ich hätte die "Buchseiten" mit dem tollen Rand schön so gelassen. Ich sehe das so, so gerne, diese Wortkunst. Ich hoffe, Du verstehst ein wenig, wie ich es meine... Schrift und Sprache, Wort und Bild, ich liebe es so sehr.
    Einen schönen Sonntag noch xoxo Erika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowww, das ist ein super schönes Werk. Überhaupt warst du wieder fleißig in letzter Zeit....alles wunderbare Werke.

    LG Carola

    ReplyDelete
  14. I left you some love over at OCC obviously, but just wanted to say thank you again for being a brilliant guest this month.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ganz wunderbares Projekt und der dimensionale Stern hat es mir angetan!... hach, hätte der Tag nur 48 Stunden ;) zur Zeit bin ich grad auf Urlaubsreise zur Familie und hab eh kaum Zeit zum Malen, seufz...Grüsslies Mix It Monthly ♥ Conny

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!